Vanilla Cupcake recipe
6 tbsp (84g), unsalted butter, room temperature
3/4 cups (155g) sugar
6 tbsp (86g) sour cream
2 tsp vanilla extract
3 large egg whites, room temperature
1 1/4 cups (163g) all purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
¼ tsp salt
6 tbsp (90ml) milk
2 tbsp (30ml) water
1. Preheat oven to 350°F (176°C) and prepare a cupcake pan with cupcake liners.
2. In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar together until light in color and fluffy, about 3-4 minutes. Do not skimp on the amount of creaming time.
3. Add sour cream and vanilla extract and mix until well combined.
4. Add egg whites in two batches, mixing until well combined after each. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed to be sure all ingredients are well incorporated.
5. Combine dry ingredients in a separate bowl, then combine the milk and water in a small measuring cup.
6. Add half of the dry ingredients to the batter and mix until well combined. Add the milk mixture and mix until well combined. Add remaining dry ingredients and mix until well combined. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed to be sure all ingredients are well incorporated.
7. Fill the cupcake liners about halfway. Bake for 15-17 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out with a few crumbs.
8. Remove cupcakes from oven and allow to cool for 2-3 minutes, then remove to cooling rack to finish cooling.
9. While the cupcakes cool, make the frosting. Combine the butter and shortening in a large mixer bowl and mix until smooth.
Raspberry Filling Recipe
4 cups frozen raspberries
1 cup granulated sugar
3 tablespoons corn starch
2 tablespoons water
Add frozen raspberries to a medium saucepan and heat over medium-high until berries break down, about 10 minutes.
Bring raspberries to a light boil, stir in sugar, and return to a boil.
In a separate small bowl, whisk together corn starch and water and pour into the raspberries.
Stir the mixture vigorously for 1 minute and then remove from heat and let cool and thicken, stirring occasionally.
Bottle up and store in the fridge or freezer, or use right away.
Butter Cream Frosting
3 sticks unsalted butter, softened
Tiny pinch fine sea salt
1 ½ pounds (24 ounces) powdered sugar, sifted
1 tablespoon clear vanilla extract (this helps maintain the bright white color)
2-3 tablespoons heavy cream or milk
In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter on medium-high speed for 6-7 minutes.
With the mixer on low speed, slowly add in the salt and powdered sugar, and continue beating until the sugar is fully incorporated.
Add in vanilla and cream or milk and mix on low speed until incorporated.
Turn the mixer back up to medium-high speed and beat the buttercream for an additional 6-7 minutes.
If the buttercream is too thick, add in a bit of milk, one teaspoon at a time until you reach the desired consistency.